This week Paul and Flick wrap up the year with their collective Top 10 New Films of 2021... plus their individual Top New Discoveries (not necessarily from 2021)!
Top 10 of 2021:
1. The Power Of The Dog (Jane Campion, 2021)
2. Pig (Michael Sarnoski, 2021)
3. The Nest (Sean Durkin, 2020)
4. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror (Kier-La Janisse, 2021)
5. Jesus And The Black Messiah (Shaka King, 2021)
6. First Cow (Kelly Reichardt, 2019)
7. Lamb (Valdimar Jóhannsson, 2021)
8. Promising Young Woman (Emerald Fennell, 2020)
9. Titane (Julia Ducournau, 2021)
10. The Sparks Brothers (Edgar Wright, 2021)
Paul's Top 5 New Discoveries
1. Seven Up! (Michael Apted, 1964-2019)
2. Night Moves (Arthur Penn, 1975)
3. The Kid (Charlie Chaplin, 1921)
4. Betty Blue (Jean-Jacques Beineix, 1986)
5. Mona Lisa (Neil Jordan, 1986)
Flick's Top 5 New Discoveries
1. Wolfwalkers (Tomm Moore, Ross Stewart, 2020)
2. Paddington 2 (Paul King, 2017)
3. Mr Inbetween (Nash Edgerton, 20018-2021)
4. Brand New Cherry Flavour (Nick Antosca, Lenore Zion, 2021)
5. I May Destroy You (Sam Miller, Michaela Coel, 2020)
- She's Not ThereThe Zombies
- 25 YearsJonny Greenwood
About this program
Primal Screen is a show about movies, from the ones on the big screen to the ones you stream. A mix of new release and retrospective film and television reviews and interviews with film practitioners. Presented by Flick Ford with regular guest critics Lisa Kovacevic, Cerise Howard, Will Cox, Emma Westwood and more.
Hosted and produced by Flick Ford.
Podcast editing and social media by Luke Lay.
Subscribe to podcast via iTunes
Download recent podcast episodes directly
The podcast intro and outro theme is Soft Illusion and was generously provided by Andras.