James Beaney, aka Diamond Jim, aka Champagne Jimmy, was a prominent surgeon at Melbourne Hospital from 1860 - 1891. He pushed the envelope in many ways and lived an exceptionally extravagant lifestyle. He operated adorned with rings boasting his diamonds and rubies. He served champagne at his operations and drank a significant amount himself. Where the Louis Vuitton showroom is today on Collins street - that used to be his super lavish residence and, at times, private surgery. The medical community was not fond of Beaney and thought he was crass and egotistical. It's a wild story and even involves him on trial for murder.
- VaLa Femme
- That Summer FeelingJonathon Richman
- DarknessLeonard Cohen
- Lord Knows Best Dirty Beaches
- Idiot PrayerNick Cave and the Bad Seeds
- Lazy Eyes and DuneLa Luz
- HospitalThe Modern Lovers
- DomainJohn Carpenter
- Diamonds Are a Girl's Best FriendMarilyn Monroe
- Feeling Good - Bassnectar remixNina Simone, Bassnectar
- My Own Version of You (My Rough & Rowdy Ways)Bob Dylan
About this program
A penchant for the weird and mysterious? Spooky and unusual? Tune in to Mystifying Melbourne, a show dedicated to exploring the more quirky and oft-overlooked aspects of Melbourne/VIC.